Tuesday, August 17, 2004

 

Obama-rama (Pt. 2)



Yesterday I had the good fortune to hear Barack Obama speak at a public event in west central Illinois. After seeing him at the Democratic Convention and hearing all the media hype, I was concerned that he may not live up to the expectations. I could not have been more wrong. What I saw and heard yesterday was not as polished as what many of us saw on television, but it was much more personal. He spoke of the hope and goodness of all Americans, Democrats and Republicans alike. It wasn't the usual my opponent said this, my opponent said that , like we get from our current leadership in the White House. It was encouraging and forward looking. In, fact I can't recall him mentioning a single conservative by name or even making reference to any individual. The most memorable statement I heard was this (I'm paraphrasing):



Afterwards, he was gracious enough to shake hands, take pictures, sign autographs, and even debate a gentleman on the merits of the assault weapons ban. (I was unable to hear the entire conversation, but I believe Mr. Obama took the man's name and address and promised to write to him on the subject.) He was courteous, generous, humble, and eloquent at all times. I know the pundits are referring to him as a rising star, but without seeing him in person, you just can't grasp the quiet strength of this man. He is truly remarkable.

You can visit his website here and read his blog here.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com