Friday, February 04, 2005

 

Oh, Really?


Like so many other things George tells us, it sounds good on the surface. However, when you really examine it closely, you discover it's there's more than meets the eye.

Wow! A hundred dollars? I've spent that on a single book. Thanks George! That'll come in handy. Hell, that's like an extra $8.33 a month! And how is he going to pay for all this? By screwing the same people he claims he's going to help.

When I was an undergrad, I went to an in-state University where tuition ran about $3,500 a semester. By splitting the new maximum Pell Grant amount over five years, I would have received about $455 per semester. That still leaves me with a $3,000 balance. Like most students who qualify for a Pell Grant, I probably can't afford to pay that out of my pocket, so I go to the bank to get a loan. Unfortunately, the Bush administration has reduced the subsidies that encourage banks to offer low-interest loans to students and I can't afford the higher interest rates. Lucky for me, I can go to my school's financial aid office and apply for a Perkins loan. Oops! Bush is proposing that we cut those too. Through the Perkins Loan I would have been able to borrow up to $4,000 a year through my school's financial aid office. So much for that. Once again, Thanks George!

Anytime George Bush promises something, you can bet that someone is getting screwed someplace. In this case, it's millions of graduate and undergraduate students that were once able to receive a lot more financial assistance for college. Notice he didn't bring that up in his speech. It must have slipped his mind.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com