Tuesday, June 07, 2005

 

Has It Been That Long?

One year ago today, Truespeak began. It began as a lark with a post about the death of Ronald Reagan. I wasn't sure how long it would last, I had hoped to make it through the summer. Then I figured I'd stick it out until the election. Then... Well, here we are. I've met a lot of great people along the way. I've learned a lot of wonderful things about my country and even a few thing I wish I hadn't. But in the end, I feel like I've gained quite a bit. Truespeak has become a pretty important part of my life. On a daily basis I can come here and vent my frustration, my worries, my anger, my disappointment, and my joy. It's definitely the most cathartic thing I've ever done.

Over the last year, I've often tried to put a face to some of the people I've met. Schaul was easy as I know her. Oldwhitelady I've always pictured in front of an easel with a brush in one hand, a pallette in the other, a pastoral scene on the canvas, and a cat at her feet. Jesse is always sitting in front of the computer with a pile of books next to him, the radio on, and his backpack open on the floor next to his chair. And I always see Ickabod as the character from the Disney "Sleepy Hollow" cartoon; tall, skinny, and very scholarly looking. I'm probably way off, but that's what I always see. Not that anybody probably cares, but this is me:

Now nobody has to guess.

I should say thank you to the Washington Post and ABC News for the wonderful gift. It appears that in honor of my first anniversary here they've taken a new poll. And the results are everything I've ever wanted.

It's so nice to see the rest of the country finally coming around to my way of thinking. Oh, but wait... there's more:

Ahhhh... That's so sweet. And what's Bush's approval/disapproval rating? An anemic 48/52 with 58% saying that Bush is not focused on issues important to them. Maybe my time here is starting to pay off. (Yeah, right!)

So to all of you that have been here throughout the first year I would like to say "Thank You." Thank you for your wisdom, your insight, your comments, and your support. I'm looking forward to a second year.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com