Saturday, July 09, 2005

 

Italy Gets Smart

In response to the London bombing, Italy is saying "buon giorno."

Granted, this isn't terribly stunning news as the Italians have been hinting at this for a while now. But what is stunning to me is this quote right here.

Now if you ask me, this is just smart thinking. Almost a year ago, I applied the same rationale to this post:

That was over 800 dead soldiers and $100 billion ago and we're still no safer. I'm glad to see that someone is starting to wise up. I just wish we were following their lead. We are continuing to throw money at a problem that we created and we're doing so at the expense of our own security here at home. What could we do with a couple hundred billion dollars, you ask? Well, since you asked, here's what we could have done with just the first $144.4 billion.

Unfortunately, the current administration is hell-bent on "staying the course." Never mind that the course is actually making us less safe. I, like most people, had no problem with the military response in Afghanistan. That was a justified invasion and a necessary step to protecting ourselves. After that? Well, we know where that's gotten us.

I say, "Good for Italy." They're thinking about their own security. Something I wish we would do more often. I'm not going to hold my breath, though.

Have a good weekend! I'll see you on Monday.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com