Monday, July 18, 2005

 

The Soft Bigotry of Low Expectations Conservatives

I don't know how everybody else does it, but as a blogger who posts only once a day, I spend a good portion of my free time planning each day's post. I begin by finding a topic that interests me and then I try to organize my thoughts into a coherent polemic. Needless to say, some are more coherent than others. As I began this day, I was planning to write about the Sunday smackdown endured by RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman as he was thrown to the dogs in Karl Rove's defense. But then my daily paper arrived.

As I've said before, my hometown is extremely conservative. The county I live in is dominated by Republicans and has been for many many years. So it's no wonder that my local paper often publishes editorials from the nuttiest of the wingnut-o-sphere of journalism. One of these crazies is Diana West. According to the byline printed in my paper, she writes for the Washington Moonie Times, which should explain a lot. However, I read her every week because I'm always amazed by her disconnect from reality. Tonight's vomitous screed was a real gem.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, here, but the way I understand this is that Ms. West is claiming that the problems we are facing are a direct result of our country not discriminating enough against Muslims. Correct? Now maybe it's just me, but I would think that one could easily argue that the problems we are facing today have been fueled by the words and actions of intolerant crazies like Ms. West, herself.

Ms. West attempts to justify her bigotry by making the claim that terror has it's roots in Islam. While those that attacked us on 9/11 do indeed claim the Islamic ground, we have to remember that the vast majority of that religion does not support or condone the actions of al Qaeda. Just as the KKK and the Nazi regime claimed to be grounded in Christianity, they did not speak for everyone who shared their creed. I wonder how Ms. West would like to be judged based upon the actions of the KKK? I would hope that she would be repulsed by the notion. I stress HOPE, because after reading this article, I'm left to wonder.

If you're as offended as I am by Ms. West's intolerant rhetoric I encourage you to contact her. Be polite, but be clear that views like hers can not be tolerated. Because in the words of John Mellencamp: "Bigotry and hatred are enemies to us all".

Diana West
dianawest@verizon.net

General switchboard:
(202) 636-3000

Mailing Address:
Washington Times
3600 New York Ave NE
Washington, DC 20002-1947



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com