Wednesday, September 07, 2005

 

CYA (Cover Your Ass)

As the Republican party goes into Double-super-duper-extra-secret-CYA mode, the phrase of the day seems to be "blame game." Every Republican suit and AM blowhard is repeating "blame game" ad nauseam. Things like, "Now is not the time to play the blame game," or "There will be plenty of time to play the "blame game" when the situation is under control." Well I don't know about them, but I've never viewed accountability as a game.

As a school teacher, I'm accountable every day. I'm accountable for my kids' safety, well being, and education. If I fail at that job, I'm held accountable. If all hell breaks loose in my classroom and I don't do anything about it, I have to face the music. Imagine, if you will, what would happen if there was a fight in my room that I knew was going to happen three days before it took place and I had done nothing to prevent it. I'd be in major trouble. Now I'm not implying that the Bush administration could have done anything to prevent Hurricane Katrina, but when Katrina hit Florida on Thursday and the forecasters were predicting that it would pick up intensity before hitting New Orleans and the Gulf coast, they could have begun preparing.

While I will admit that some of the preparations made by the state and local government do appear to have been lacking, the federal government's plan was nonexistent. The only plan that appears to have been well thought out is the CYA plan that they are now employing. Think Progress has provided us with a referenced timeline that puts the whole thing into perspective.

So the question is, if now's not the time to play the "blame game," when will it be time to hold people accountable? And if now's not the time to play the "blame game," why do I see so many Republicans blaming the Democratic leadership in Louisiana but not the Republican leadership of Mississippi and Alabama? In my opinion, the time for accountability is now. We can't stop the hurricanes, but we can minimize the death and disease. By not holding the responsible parties accountable, we're simply dooming more people to die for our government's unwillingness to admit fault. George's pride has already killed too many people as it is. We can't take any more.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com